It’s true that you never know what could go wrong on the day of a move. But whether you’re moving a small office or a corporate headquarters with hundreds of employees, it’s the work that goes in beforehand that really makes the difference.
With proper planning and preparation, relocating an office doesn’t have to be hugely disruptive.
For a small office, you might plan an office relocation on your own. For a large move, it’s best to form a team, ensuring that each affected department or division of your organisation is properly represented. Either way, use this checklist to help ensure that the process is as stress-free as possible.
Several weeks before the move
Planning the layout of the new office
- obtain a floor plan for the new office premises
- determine exactly where all workstations, furniture, equipment and internet and phone cables will be located at the new premises, and pencil these into the plan
- identify any new furniture, equipment or décor items that will be needed and organise the purchases
- work with IT staff – or an IT consultant if necessary – to plan the layout of your company’s network, including cabling, servers, routers and so on, at the new premises
Preparing to relocate the office’s communications network and IT assets
- order phone and data services for the new office premises
- make sure that full backups of the company’s data are scheduled for just prior to the move and that backed up information will be stored in at least two different, secure locations
- work with IT technicians to plan how to handle the transition to the new premises with the minimum possible downtime to the office network
Letting people know about the move
- inform banks, business partners, suppliers, service providers and clients when you’ll be moving and provide your new contact details
- update your website and order new stationery and business cards, reflecting your new location and contact details
Arranging the day of the move
- organise a day and time for the move with the management of the new office premises; also ensure parking will be available
- if possible, ask to inspect the new premises and double-check that all power outlets, lights, locks, toilets and other facilities are working properly
- book a moving company
- arrange containers for packing; a simple and affordable solution is to contact us at Ecobox – just tell us how many of our sturdy, recyclable boxes you’ll need and we’ll deliver them to your door on the day they’re needed (and pick them up again after you’ve moved and unpacked)
- if possible, arrange to have the new premises cleaned a day or two before the day of the move
- ensure that everyone involved in managing the move knows their role and responsibilities, before, during and immediately after the move.
Just before the move
Planning the packing process
- create a packing schedule that’s designed to minimise disruptions; plan to pack equipment that staff need to do their jobs last and, if possible, handle packing of less critical items outside work hours
- clearly label every box to show where it must go in the new office premises and what it contains
- once drawers in desks and filing cabinets are empty, lock them or tape them shut so they don’t work loose during the move
- label all cables, describing their purpose and where they must go in the new office
- have phone and internet lines at the old office disconnected
- ensure that employees pack all their personal possessions and check that they leave nothing behind
Creating an inventory
- once all items are packed, create a detailed list of everything (all boxes, items of furniture, equipment and so on) that’s to be moved
On moving day
Setting up at the new premises
- use the inventory you created to confirm that everything has arrived safely at the new premises
- use the floor plan to ensure that everything is moved to the correct places
- organise to have phones, PCs, printers and other equipment connected only once heavy furniture and partitions have been moved into place.
How Ecobox can help
At Ecobox, we can simplify your office move by delivering sturdy, environmentally friendly boxes and other packing materials to your doorstep. And once you’ve successfully completed a move and unpacked, we’ll pick up the boxes from your new office location.
Our boxes are clean, hygienic and fully recyclable. They’re ideal for packing and protecting office supplies, documents, sensitive office equipment and other items you need to relocate as part of an office move. Contact us for more information or to discuss your needs.